Saturday, September 23, 2006

My sweet husband

I was telling Mike about a conversation I had yesterday with an adoption mama who said to get her husband to agree to adopt included a full month of fights. He did give in eventually (and they also have a second so she won for sure). When Mike and I first talked adoption I knew I wanted to go to China but wanted to fair to Mike in his opinion so I didn't really share my true feelings at first. Just like my dorky self, I made a pros and cons list for domestic vs international (international never included anything but China) and presented them to Mike. He seemed to lean toward domestic mostly because of the need to actually travel to China - he's worried about leaving work for 2+weeks. Anyway, one day Mike came home and found me a bit weepy. He asked what was wrong and I burst into tears and they flowed like a break in the Hoover Dam. I mumbled through my hysteria that I only wanted to adopt from China and that I couldn't explain it but I knew in my heart that it is where our daughter waits for us. After my episode, Mike hugged me and said simply "okay". That was it; we filled out the application that day. So back to yesterday. I was sharing the conversation about my friend's difficultly convincing her husband and I had said, once I shared my true feelings with Mike, he was all onboard.

Now the sweet part - Mike told me that when people ask him why we chose China, he explains to them that he feels women have a mother's intuition and even though I don't have bio kids that my mother's intuition kicked in and told me the right path for us. It's as simple as that and he trusts in that. Thank you for trusting me Mike!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's really sweet! I had a crying episode too. But everything worked out great.

Carla said...

that's so sweet. My Dh was concerned about the travel as well, but we have always wanted to adopt from when we first got married. Convincing that China was indeed where our daughter is was a little harder!

Congrats on your LID! I'm so happy to have it too...FINALLY!

Jen & Bill said...

awwww what a sweetie!!!

funny my dh is concerned about the travel as well! Time off as well as the food. He is a meat and potatoes (well french fry) type of guy!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly:
Thank you for those sweet comments about Mike. We think he is kinda special too.
Dave