Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Match Day was Perfect!


It's been just over 24 hours since I first laid eyes on who I knew in my heart!  And now with the flurry of the day settling a little bit, I can look back at yesterday and appreciate that it went just as I wanted our match day to go!  I went to work for a few hours in the morning, which helped me get my mind off the fact that we should hear news soon.  Then I got a "pre-call" from our agency, confirming that they indeed had a referral for us (that was a huge relief) and that she would call at 1pm to provide the details.  My mom and aunt when into motion, getting me lunch (like I could eat!) and of course a birthday cake (few events of celebration go by without a cake in my family)!  And I headed home to get THE call.

When I got the call, the video camera went on and the flashes of the camera began.  I'm so glad we recorded it because it's actually really neat to go back and view that moment when I learned that we have a daughter.  The agency rep said she was emailing a photo first and then there she was on my computer, the cutest little face!  I was told her date of birth - I had to ask how old that made her...no way of doing math at that point!  "She is a little over one, 14 months" I was told.  For a moment I was a little sad that she had her first birthday already.  I hoped to be there for that but I also knew beforehand she could be as old as two.  So I will have her for her second birthday and all the rest thereafter!  Then her Chinese name, Fu Han Yu.  Fu, the surname is a denotation of the orphanage where she is but 'Han Yu', the caller told me, means "Engraved Jade".  (When we received her paperwork, we read another interpretation showing her name means "Cherished Jade"; even more perfect!)  The wind was literally sucked out of my lungs!  My daughter's name is Mia Jade; a name I picked out in 2006 when we began our journey.  I heard a whisper in a state of half asleep, half awake, that her name was to be Mia Jade.  Now I am not one who has had many audible conversations with God or angels, but that moment I truly believe that is who I heard.  It sounds crazy but I now know for sure it is not crazy.

Other details followed including what they knew of her arrival to the orphanage (I will keep that information private for now) and what paperwork is next.  But my mind was spinning by now.  What I have hoped for, prayed for, had faith for had finally happened and she was just perfect!  I was so excited to get on the phone, the internet, Facebook and spread our news!  The day was finished with a wonderful family celebration at the local Chinese super buffet and a gift of a Panda bead for my bracelet to mark the day.

This morning I woke with my daughter on my mind and a smile on my face.  I showed up to work with copies of her photo lining my office door like wallpaper!  And I came home to our FedEx packet with all of our paperwork for the next steps to be taken and happiness, a couple more photos.  So it was all perfect.  Just what I hoped it would be!  And here she is, another adorable photo of our daughter.  Half way around the world, she waits but our love will reach her soon!

5 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

What a perfect day, I agree! She's so precious! Enjoy the rest of your journey (and a little more paperwork!).
Congrats!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Karmen and Greg said...

Tears are flowing as I read your post. What a PERFECT day. And you are NOT crazy one bit. As I hear the stories of how God has shown so many of us in our own journeys that this indeed was the child He had planned for us from the beginning -- I am humbled and oh so reminded that not only is there a God but that He loves each and everyone of us and has an ultimate plan that goes so far beyond our own human understanding.

Kelly, Mike and Zane -- I am SOOO thrilled for you and cannot wait to read the next chapter of your journey. As your necklace indicates Mia was fearfully and wonderfully made! (Now I gotta go order me one of those!)

Kim Taylor said...

Wanted to share this poem...

How could you know?

As you lay sleeping far away
as still as you could be...
How could you know the joy today this
photo brings to me?

A few short weeks and you'll be mine, and "I" will soon be "We".
How could you know the love I feel?
It's something you can't see.

So have sweet dreams, my precious babe. Sleep well and tenderly.
Some say that you're the lucky one,
How could they know it's me?

by: Kris Laughlin

Kate said...

Hi...saw your link on RQ...and I just wanted to say a quick congratulations!!! Also...our older daughter (now 7) was 1 year and 1 week old at referral...one of the oldest in our group...our first...and we were some of the youngest parents in our group. You can actually see my shoulders slump when they say on the call that we "just missed" her first birthday. I had a 1 1/2 party for her the following summer...and gosh...I am SO glad we were matched with her...it was meant to be! (and I know you are so happy too...just saying I get that sadness that you missed her first birthday.) We just brought our second daughter home in November...and missed her third birthday by mere weeks...we can't win...but are so so happy to know that it was the last one she would spend without a family.

Best wishes and speedy travel!!!

Kate

Leah Mei said...

Congratulations! Your daughter is adorable!