Monday, June 09, 2008

Prevent Infant Drowning

Zane recently completed an infant survival class through Infant Swimming Resource; you may have seen them featured on the "Today Show" a few weeks ago.  I was so impressed by Zane's ability to learn to turn over and float no matter how he "fell" into the water.  My parents have a pool just a few steps out their back door and I feel very strongly about protecting Zane not only by standard pool protections but by making sure he can float until help arrived.  Many friends asked 'how could you do that to him' - actually Zane didn't seem too upset about it but also I feel it's the same as giving him vaccinations - protecting him against danger.  Drowning is the NUMBER ONE cause of accidental death of 1-4 year olds.  If you interested, their website is http://www.infantswim.comOn their website you can enter your zip code to search for an instructor near you.  I encourage you to consider it, especially if you have water nearby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great gift you gave to him!! He's SUCH a cutie!!!!

I'm working for a foundation now that does child home safety and injury prevention. I'll be sure to pass this site along to interested parents at our seminars. (We also promote supervision, self locking pool fences, and door knob locks on doors out to the pools).
You can see what we do at www.thesamanthafoundation.org

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I LOVE this idea. LOVE it! I've never heard of it around here...but it's fantastic!!!!

Alyson and Ford said...

We put AA through the ISR classes and she is a great swimmer now (actually, a great back floater and "flipper"!). This is a wonderful program I would recommend for any infant/toddler.

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Ten Months